Wednesday, March 7, 2018

An Interview with Cold Coffee Cafe

I've done a few interviews but only three that have been recorded and concern my writing. Here is one done a few years ago for Cold Coffee Cafe. The picture was done by the same person who did the cover for "The Makine Of Jake McTavish", Tracy Wandling. Check out her design and her art work at https://www.tracywandling.com/ or hunt her up on Facebook.


Author D. M. McGowan writes historical fiction about the settling and opening of Canada’s West. “The Great Liquor War” – 1998 – Daison Publishing / “Partners” – 2008 – Strategic Book Publishing / “Homesteader: Finding Sharon” – 2009 – Strategic Book Publishing.
Dave was born in Collingwood, Ont. and has lived in Owen Sound, Caledon, Heathcote, (in BC) Ft. St. John, Vancouver, (back to Ont.) Jarvis, Oshawa, Windsor, (Alb.) Calgary, Ft. Saskatchewan, (BC) Kelowna and Dawson Creek. He has been a cowboy, forest firefighter, heavy equipment operator, farmhand, gardener, road musician and businessman. He lives with his wife, Karen, and children and grandchildren in Northern British Columbia, where he works as a commercial driver.
Interview:
What makes you proud to be a writer from Canada? Receiving from readers requests for another story.
I also take pride in revealing some of the past of this great country. Some strong people with great vision built this country but we seldom hear of them. They are the pioneers who came to a flat land of great distances, to a world of high mountain peaks, to winter’s cold or summer’s heat that was far beyond their comprehension and yet built something wondrous out of that, a world that we, those who live in it, often don’t properly appreciate.
Those of us who look for it can gather information on politicians or major business leaders of the past but it’s difficult to find out about those who actually built Canada, the miners, loggers, cattlemen and farmers. People much like those who are continuing to make it work.
What or who inspired you to become a writer? Driven by a love of history I had gathered stories that interested me. In an attempt to feed and house myself and my family I enjoyed a variety of experiences through the years and turned some of those into stories as well. While we were traveling Western Canada playing music my wife and partner, Karen suggested that I should write some of those stories down. I did as suggested and found that what I enjoyed most was historical fiction.
When did you begin writing with the intention of becoming published? I began writing in 1990 but did not consider publishing until much later, perhaps 1995. My first was “The Great Liquor War” published in 1998.
Did your environment or upbringing play a major role in your writing and did you use it to your advantage? Yes, to both questions. As mentioned above I’ve had a variety of experiences and have used knowledge gained there in some of my stories. For example a common practice in the mountains is to build a cache of goods and supplies for later use either at a permanent or long term camp site or for use on an oft travelled trail. These caches are usually ten feet or more off the ground to save these supplies from the ravages of wildlife (primarily bears, wolves and coyotes). They may be no more than a floor or platform but are sometimes a log cabin high in the trees. I’ve never read mention of such in historical fiction or westerns and have included them in two of my stories.
Do you come up with your title before or after you write the manuscript? I generally make up some kind of a title so I can save it and find it in my computer. However in many cases I’m aware this title will have to be changed when I’m finished. The stories usually take on a life of their own and become something I had not intended when I wrote the first paragraph. “The Great Liquor War” was “Liquor Laws” in the beginning. “The Making of Jake McTavish” started out as “Jake’s Justice” but the story itself turned out to be close to my original idea.
Please introduce your genre and why you prefer to write in that genre? Historical fiction or a “Western” with a focus on Canada. I enjoy reading good stories from the west but have found very few sited in Canada. Two or perhaps three writers have done excellent work with fiction on the Canadian West and that work is as entertaining as any in the world. Except for those few many offerings are hard to read, and can be misleading or inaccurate.
There are billions of western novels out there but very few from those areas that, at the time where “the North West Territories” or “the Colony of British Columbia.”
What has been your most rewarding experience with your writing process? The reviews I have received from many sites, the reviews from fans and the awards from Reader’s Favorite.
What has been your most rewarding experience in your publishing journey? Readers, commenting about some historical depiction or reference in one of my stories who say, “I didn’t know that.” I’ve also heard and read, “I didn’t understand history until I read that.”
Have you had a negative experience in your publishing journey? If so please explain how it could have been avoided? Traditional publishing houses who continue to place their focus on literature when entertainment is what has always sold.
Traditional publishing has had several tough years recently and I think they could release some of that pressure by spending less time with those who want something other than a good story.
What one positive piece of advice would you give to other authors? Write! If you have a problem which you wish to call “writers block” put that story aside and sit down and write. Start a new story, outline the person you want as a life partner or explain the one you have, write about your favorite pet or restaurant but write something. When you’re done or perhaps tomorrow go back and work on that story that’s giving you trouble.
Who is your favorite author? Anyone who is entertaining. Louis LaMour, Michael Connelly, Lee Child


No comments:

Post a Comment